Irrespective of your experience, if metal detecting is your hobby, then you need to know how to use a metal detector. Knowing how to handle it properly will save you two major things – time and money. Regardless of it being a beginner’s metal detector or an advanced- intermediate metal detector, every investor should follow the below guides.
How to Use a Metal Detector
- Practice: If this is your first time, do not be hesitant to ask for assistance in using it. For best results, consult the person you are buying it from or anyone who you know has been pursuing this hobby for some time. Also, go through the manual carefully and apply all that theoretical knowledge in your metal detecting endeavours. Watch some videos too to get a better idea.
- Sharp Ears: Ensure that your ears are always on the alert whenever you are out looking for metals. To achieve the ability to differentiate between sounds, use the detector over different kinds of metal and try to recognise the variations in sound. For example, if you are detecting a ring, the sound will be much stronger as compared to say the sound of a penny.
- Look for a Pattern: Each metal detector will have a unique pattern. Once you have tried metal detecting a few times, you will be able to realize which pattern suits you the best. For some, it would be easier to search from left to right while for others searching the border of that particular area might be convenient.
- Correct Direction: You need to narrow down the search, to save time and energy. For that to happen, you have to direct your detector from either left to right or right to left. Also, you should go from side to side. Once you get an idea as to where the artefact might be – you must dig up the area and get rid of some of the grass and dirt. Keep digging until you have found what you were looking for.
- Look for All Kinds of Metals: Wondering why? Well, once you select the all-metal option, you have a higher chance of coming across gold or any other kind of valuable metal. Also, note that once you stumble upon any valuable artefact, do not make the mistake cleaning it thoroughly. Just take the dirt off with the help of some dry cloth because rinsing it might diminish its value.
- Make Use of Headphones: Headphones are necessary to filter out the sounds, which are not needed. While searching for metals, you do not want to be distracted by the noise of the wind or other people talking around you.
How Does a Metal Detector Work?
Wondering how do metal detectors work? It mainly depends on the model you are using. Some would be able to dig up until about 10 inches while the ones, which are more developed, will be able to go in much deeper than that. All the metal detectors contain the following things:
- Control Box: It makes space for the speaker, batteries, control units and various other key elements for detecting.
- Search Coil: This part does the actual work. Depending on the size and form of the search coil, you will be able to dig in.
- Stabilizer: Most metal detectors will have this. It supports the metal detector – it helps it to be balanced.
- Shaft: It forms the connection between the search coil and control box. A good metal detector will give you the option to alter it according to your height.
Purpose of Hunting
When you are looking for a metal detector, you need to be clear about the purpose. If you are a generalist and are, open to finding anything and everything under the sun, then go for a BFO detector, as these will help you to find anything from the most mundane material to the most valuable piece of gold. If your goal is to discover only gold, then VLF detectors are your best bet. This is because VLF detector will search minutely and come to your aid if you are searching for minuscule but valuable objects.
Now, if you are someone who loves wandering on the beach and stumbling upon bracelets, watches, and coins, which are rare to find – then you can go for any metal detector excluding the ones, which come with a single frequency. If you use one of the expensive VLF metal detectors, you will have a gala time under waters. These come with waterproof features which make it easier for you to find precious items under the sea.
From just pursuing it as a hobby to using it for security purposes – you can do plenty of things with a metal detector. However, you need first to get the hang of how to use a metal detector. Some models will be compatible under waters while others would be ideal for searching gold on land. If you do not have the patience to go through a manual or have no one to discuss metal detectors, then the above tips will come in handy.